Saturday, August 30, 2008

What's In a Name?

Well, we finally have a name for this precious girl. The naming process for her had many firsts for us. For one, we bought our first baby name book. We also thumbed through many at Barnes and Noble. That was a fun experience. I'm not sure how we got out of that for the first three. Also, I can honestly say this is the first time I have prayed about a baby's name. It might sound crazy. But we have never been in this big of a dilemma before naming our children. A friend suggested to pray about it. Wow, what a crazy concept huh?? So we did...another first. We also thought we were set on another name, until we realized we might want to have more children, and that name rhymed with our awesome boy name...can't do that. So after much consideration we have decided to name her
Evan Lane Magee
This name is really special to us. Lane is my great grandmother's maiden name. She was a fiery lady (imagine that), who passed away when I was 12. She was a favorite of mine. And Evan means "God is Good". And for those of ya'll who have been around in the last year with us, you can attest to this truth in our lives. God has led us in some crazy directions this past year, but through all of it, we were constantly reminded of His goodness, and faithfulness. So it just seemed fitting that we would bookmark this year, with a special notation. There you have it. My mom has already blatantly said she doesn't like it because it's a boy name. And I'll agree with that. But my mom already named her children, and I ended up a Mary. So now it's my turn. :) And with Gracen and Grier being somewhat gender neutral, you can't suddenly throw in a Sophia, or Ava, or Mary Rose. You know? We are so thrilled to call this baby girl by her name...Evan.

3 comments:

Patty Smith, Graphic Designer said...

I love it! And I love the meaning. Jason and I put A LOT of thought and prayer into "Eliana". There was a time when a name wasn't picked "just because". And now we know for our next we want to but just as much thought and prayer into it. It makes it so special to have a meaning that comes so close to home for you guys and your past year. We love you!

ren said...

I love it, and I'm glad you're stickin to it! We prayed a lot over both boy's names. Aren't children the best blessing? :)

Cristy said...

I like it. But I love boys names for girls. My only rule is the girl has to be super cute for it to work, and make the name a cute girls name. (think shawn johnson - if she were homely and boring, it would be a pathetic name.) (or Pat on SNL.) And, you've proven to have really cute girls, so its perfect. We also considered names like Ande, Jordan, Danni for Molly. I, HOWEVER, don't think it works at all to use a girls name for a boy. so don't you dare name a boy Meredith!

I'm now thinking I might have to get pregnant again just so I can have more naming rights!