Wednesday, July 08, 2009

4 going on 14


My 4 year old, going on 14...Gracen has claimed a "special" spot in the house. She sandwiches herself between a chair and the couch...and usually puts this pillow up as the "door". Oh, and she calls it her "cave". Have I mentioned that she NEEDS alone time...like a lot?! I totally don't get this, and it can be a real source of frustration for me. But my dear, sweet husband not only gets it but identifies with it. He is helping me to understand her a little more, and to be okay with it. I want her to be fun, and lively, and the life of the party...but she's not. She is definitely all of those things at times...but not on command, and especially not in any sort of predictable pattern. I am learning a lot as a mom, as usual...and I feel like something God has been working with me a lot on, is stepping back and letting my kids be who God created them to be...not who I want them to be. Now, I'm not saying let them behave however they want to, or speak to people however they want, etc. I'm talking about their God given personalities. And if you know me even a little bit, you know that I LOVE to talk personalities, and tests, and that I use sanguine, choleric, melancholy, and phlegmatic in my day to day language. :) So this should be an easy lesson for me. I mean, I get that my daughter is not a sanguine (look it up)...but why not? It's so much fun...doesn't she want to have fun?! See what I mean? That's the slippery slope I go down. God made all of my kids special and different...and each has a unique personality...now it's just a matter of me stepping back and letting God do amazing things with that unique personality.

2 comments:

ren said...

OK I'm kinda surprised that you don't get it, b/c you were totally like that in college! Sometimes you were crazy let's-get-into-trouble Mary having a ball, but LOTS of times you were alone in your room, journaling, making your to-do lists, reading, and generally ignoring your sanguine friend who didn't need ANY alone time, haha!

Might I add that now that I have two boys I totally appreciate the quiet. :)

But you're right, it's neat to discover who GOD made them to be. Tell Gracen she can come be quiet in a corner of my house anytime! (Providing that Sam doesn't find her and jump all over her like a monkey man).

Leigh Ishee said...

My mom said I would be content playing by myself alot.