Thursday, March 13, 2008

Grier is ONE!


My favorite thing about our children's first birthdays is that they get to turn around in their car seats. They have all seemed so in awe of their first spin facing forward. Grier turned 1 on the 9th. I can hardly believe it. I feel like I was just in labor feeling every bit of the pain b/c the epidural failed me. I remember holding her for the first time and the smell of her first bath in the hospital. And of course I remember the long nights holding her, feeding her, and consoling her. Now, sleeping through the night for some time now and on the verge of walking...the time flew by too quickly. If I could only have a few more nights of cuddling her...just the two of us...our special time at 3:00 a.m., when she was hungry. I really miss those nights, and I wish that I could go back and soak it all in. I couldn't wait for her to sleep through the night...and to move on to the next "phase". What I'm realizing lately, as my first born turns 4 next week, is that God has purpose for every season of life. He longs to connect with us, no matter what is going on in life. He is our source for strength and endurance and joy. I wish that I would have taken more joy in the early weeks of Grier's life...knowing that as I was sleep deprived and in pure survival mode, He wanted to use those experiences to make me look more like Him. God was building my character. What a cool thought...It's all about perspective and thankfulness...Believing that God has purpose in the small things, and being thankful for everything that comes our way...good and bad. So today I choose to take joy in my children and the chaos that surrounds me. This is what God has for me today...

2 comments:

Kendall said...

What awesome thoughts! Could you remind me of this in 3 months?! I will need it. It is so hard to believe that Grier is 1. Wow, what a year!

Marissa said...

Like Kendall...remind me of this in a few weeks. It really is some great insight and something I need to remember as I'm nearing survival mode soon. Thanks for making me more mindful of being thankful for the sleepless nights and time together with my little one. I'll definitely be clinging to the Lord. :)