Friday, March 21, 2008

Officially Potty Training

I have officially started to potty train Gracen. We have been going at it for about a week now...and it is S-L-O-W going. I am reminded once again how different my children are. When I potty trained Aiden, nothing could have been easier. Grier was about 3 weeks old, Aiden had just turned 3 and I was TIRED of 3 kids in diapers. We basically had a conversation that went something like this..."Aiden, you are 3 now and Mommy is totally grossed out at changing your big boy diapers. It is time you started using the potty. You don't want to wear diapers like the baby do you?" That was all it took. Aiden decided then to use the potty...no accidents, and just a short time at night with Pull-Ups...and we were done....Now there is Gracen. Gracen really doesn't care much about what all the other kids are doing...which I will be totally grateful for when she is a teenager, but during potty training, it's a bit annoying. I have tried to entice her by saying, "Well, you know who uses the big girl potty, don't you?" She is totally unimpressed, and I can almost see her dig her heals in deeper. She marches to the beat of her own drum. She is independent and stubborn...a deadly combination. She's not motivated by much, except for the occasional cookie. So we have had LOTS and LOTS of accidents this week. I have almost lost it several times as she has peed on my couch, her cute pottery barn kids chair, her outfit I JUST put on her, her sister's blanket, her carpet, etc.. I just know I am doing everything wrong...Maybe she's not ready yet...but Mommy sure IS!

5 comments:

Ashley Self said...

You are doing the right thing and you can do it!! It will get easier! How cute is she?

ren said...

I don't know if this will help or not, but with me being the princess I am, my mom bought me the fanciest lil panties she could find and told me I could NOT mess in them. Well I loved those lil red panties (my fav color) with ruffles on the bum sooo much I started using the potty right then and there. I had a failed attempt w/ Sam this week too. So stressful I'll try it in another couple of months.

The Sixlins said...

patience, patience...
But we did a chart on the wall for stickers. Every 3 (depends on you) stickers she earns can be exchanged for a reward. It took a while for Naomi too.
Miss you....

Marissa said...

I pee on the couch all of the time. It's so much more comfortable than the toilet. :)

Anonymous said...

wooo hoooo! PT SUCCESS!!! GO GRACEN!
I'm still laughing out loud at Marissa saying she pees on the couch all the time.
--Jessica