Sunday, January 31, 2010

Right of Passage




My title is kind of tongue and cheek. While it was a trip down memory lane, and was special to me personally...I get that getting a Barbie Doll isn't that significant in the grand scheme of things. In fact, I don't even know how I feel about Barbie in general for my daughters...yet. BUT I LOVED them as a child. I had about 17 Barbies, the Barbie Dream House, the car, the swimming pool, etc. I was a Barbie fanatic to say the least. I played with them WAY past when it was acceptable...like 7th grade-ish. Sooo, one day I came home from school and saw that my Mom had sold every lick of Barbie paraphernalia that I owned. I couldn't believe it. Let's just say that it was a sad day at the Stanley house. So fast forward 15 years...I'm pregnant with my first daughter, and dreaming in pink. I immediately thought of my old Barbies, and Cabbage Patch Dolls that I wanted to pass down to her. Only problem...I no longer had Barbies. So what else could I do...I hopped on Ebay to hunt a few down. I found 3 of my old Barbies and won them easily. Apparently early to mid 80's Barbies are NOT the latest rage. This Barbie up above "Jewel Secrets Barbie" was one of my favorites. I finally decided to give it to Gracen a few months ago. I was so excited to share this special doll with her. She was sweet and listened to my stories, but I could tell that she wasn't nearly as pumped as I was. It gave me some good perspective...it's just a doll Mom.

2 comments:

ren said...

It's Tiff's fault that I stopped playing Barbies in 6th grade. She refused to play w/ them anymore b/c we were too old, and then would play them by herself in secret! Agh! I had the two RC corvettes, Western Barbie and her horse, the bubble bath, and the dream mansion- all inherited from my babysitter. My fav though, was "Peaches and Cream" barbie. So pretty.

Mageetribe said...

Oh Ren...we would have had some FUN!! I had no one that wanted to play with me either. Boo on Tiff. ;)